Friday, November 21, 2008

A 10k Weekend

On the NaNo site, one of the places I frequent in the Writers' Groups forum is the Cauldron Cafe. One of the other Cafers suggested having a 10k weekend & I'm gonna try for it. An extra 10k from where I am now would put me almost on schedule again. Anybody else interested?

What's the most you've been able to add to your novel in a single block?
Mine's about 6k, I had a 6k day this year & felt both exhausted & at the same time, pretty spectacular afterwards, lol.

Oh! Also, I had an idea last night. One of the recent Pep Talks mentioned that if you're stuck you should do whatever will cause the most trouble for your chars & I'm taking that advice to heart. I've had a little sideline scene I've been trying to place & it hit me that now, I have a home for it. One of my pairs of characters are done with their leg of the quest while the other two are still only halfway through. I've been cycling through each pairing & was a complete loss as to what to do once I got back to Bram & Gus, as they're cooling their heels back at the diner again. This is where the twist I'd been holding on to comes in. I'd been planning to have an alligator tattooed guy heist the diner at some point, I just didn't know when. Well, I think now's the time. What's more, I think he's gonna snake the map Bram & Gus just brought back.

That should make things interesting as the map in question shows the location of all the gods left on Earth. And, with that map, Gus, Bram & all the rest were going to be able to suss out the next target for death/disappearance, but now they'll have to decide to go after the thief or wait around & see where the 'destroyer' hits next. Either road has some pretty decent potential.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I bet you can do it! That's 5K a day which is very attainable. The most I have written in one sitting was about 4300 words.

NJ Carroll said...

10K in a weekend? Well since I'm having trouble with this rewrite. You're on!
The most I've written in a day is around 11k.