Saturday, December 13, 2008

And Now For Something Completely Different

So, it's done & I'm a little iffy on the idea. It seems both fabulous & very odd that it's done. The story i used this year is one that'd been kicking around in the back of my head for a couple of years now & to actually have it out & completed... is strange. It's been on my mind for so long & now it's gone, like a song that finally quits playing after being stuck in your head for ages. Good, but just a bit jarring when you notice it's absence.

CJ, it is fairly nice, yes. Both energizing & a little serene. But alas, no rest for the wicked. My ML talked me into doing NaNoFiMo & now that I've finished with this year's book, I'm dragging out an old one, my NaNo form '03. And I've gotta say... I'm a bit trepidatious about opening the thing. While I am rather interested to see what I can make of this year's during rewrites, I'm less sure about the old one. Yes, I know, it'll never get finished until I reread it & start writing, It's been ages since I read it & I'm afraid I'll open it & hate it or won't be able to get back into the mindset to finish.

I know, I know...nothing for it but to open the bloody thing & get started.

So, dear readers, have you ever had a project you had trouble starting or sticking to? Any favorite tricks when starting rewrites?

2 comments:

Ian said...

For me, rewriting is a multi-step process that involves several other people. First I give the entire manuscript a once-over for readability: fixing grammar, spelling, punctuation, etc. Then I send it off to my First Readers. They return it with comments. I apply their suggestions with which I agree and discard those I don't. If more than one reader brings up a fundamental question about something in the plot or characterization, I take it very seriously. After I've completed the post-FR draft (technically the 3rd draft), I give it one more thorough clean and polish. If I've implemented significant changes, I have my First Readers look it over again. When they're satisfied and I'm satisfied, it's ready to start the submission process.

Good luck!

NJ Carroll said...

First of all...you have a great story...I really enjoyed reading it. I can't wait to see the polished version!!! *grin*
When I look at a rewrite, I get overwhelmed...and usually go, "I'll work on it later". So what I've started is just looking at the draft in small chunks...a page or so at a time. I also send a paragraph to a friend and we pick it apart together..it's less daunting.
As far as sticking to a project...that happens to me ALL the time. LOL